Wednesday, April 22, 2009

1 Year

Exactly one year ago today I gave Reagan a big hug and kiss and walked out the front door knowing that the next time I walked back through those doors our lives would be completely different.

Stephen drove me anxiously to the hospital to give birth to our son. I was checked in and given a room and before I knew it, it was time. I lay on an operating room table holding Stephens hand, waiting to hear that sweet melodious cry of a newborn baby... but I never heard that cry. Instead I heard doctors rushing around talking about my new baby not breathing properly and before I knew it he was whisked away to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. All I could do was cry, I was still being put back together from
C-Section and Stephen didn't know whether to go to our new baby or stay with me.

After what seemed like an eternity I was out of surgery and wheeled down to the NICU to see my baby for the first time. It was a scary place and all I could do was cry as I looked at my sweet new baby, fresh from heaven, hooked up to so many machines...so many tubes. What did they all do? How long would he be like this? When could I hold him? Could I have done something to prevent this?

8 days later we brought Brody home. Happy. Healthy. Our little piece of heaven. And our lives haven't been the same since.

Happy Birthday Brody!!!
I love you more than you will ever know.



4 comments:

Angie said...

Ok....crying now. I remember. I love you Amber and I love Brody and Reagan just as much. I am thankful every day to have all of you and my life is rich because of you. Can't wait to see you this weekend.

Dustin and Katie Smothers said...

OK - I'm crying now ! That was so sweet. Happy Birthday Brody !!!

Ryan and Brindi said...

this is so cute! you made me cry! love you!

shelley said...

very touching picture. you told me his birthing experience was rough, but i had no idea! i'm so glad he's a happy, healthy little boy now. happy birthday brody!!