Friday, September 18, 2009

Life Lessons

Today Reagan learned a hard life-lesson. We had gone to the mall so that Reagan could go to Build-A-Bear and make a bear. I started this new reward program when she started school where she get these little glass beads when she gets a green light at school or helps out around the house. She finally filled up her jar and builing a bear at Build-A-Bear is what she wanted to do. So off I trecked to the mall with both kids in tow (that was probably my first mistake of the day) and decided that while I was there I would make a few stops, nothing major just run in, grab something and get out. Well that is exactly what Reagan did.... except that we didnt pay for her something.
We were in the Disney store picking up one little thing for Brody and the line was going really slow. Reagan was touching everything and I was telling her to put it down. She kept picking up this water bottle thing and I kept telling her we werent buying it. We finally paid and got out of there. Our next stop was to run in and grab a pair of jeans for Brody at Gymboree. I had a coupon that was about to expire and wanted to make sure to use it. While I was looking for the right size I saw Reagan putting stuff from my purse into her bag including my wallet, so I quickly went over there and told her she couldnt play with my wallet, and thats when I saw it. The water bottle thing that she had been eyeing at the Disney store. I immediately asked her if she took it and she said she did. Then I had to sit down in the middle of a busy Gymboree and explain to her we dont take thing we havent paid for. She was upset and wouldn't look at me... she knew she had dome something wrong.
Then we went back to the Disney store and waited in another long line (they really need to get more help at that store) and when it was our turn I walked up, set Reagan on the counter and told her she needed to tell the lady what she did. For some reason I felt like I was fighting back tears as I watched my daughter... for one of the first times ever, do something that was really hard and embarrassing for her. She handed the lady the water bottle and said "I took this" the whole time she wouldnt even look at the lady behind the register (who was a sweet older lady that was obviously very sympathetic to this situation.) Then she said she was sorry and she wouldnt take things without paying for them ever again. The lady thanked her and told her to have a good day and then looked at me as I mouthed "Thank you" to her and she winked at me.
She was a little quiet for a few minutes after that and when we got to the car I told her I loved her and reiterated the idea that we dont take things that we havent paid for. I asked her if she understood and without missing a beat she said "Yes Ma'am" (which she usually only says without being prompted when she is in trouble). I know this is the first of many life lessons she will experience but unfortunately I know it will not be the hardest...

2 comments:

Ryan and Brindi said...

ooohhhh that is so hard. i STILL remember my life lesson on "not taking without paying for it". i took gum when i was 3 or 4 yrs old from the grocery store and my mom made me do the same thing you made reagan do. i NEVER repeated that mistake again because i was SO embarassed! it is a VERY GOOD lesson to learn. good job amber on teaching reagan such an important lesson even though it was hard on the both of you. See you tomorrow!

shelley said...

this brought tears to my eyes. i think for the same reason it made you almost cry. i'm just thinking of all the hard life lessons my girls are going to have to learn, and how hard it is going to have to be to watch them learn them and not be able to step in and "fix" the situation. good job momma! you did the right thing.