Sunday, December 13, 2009

Six Years


When I was back in college I thought I had it all figured out (what college student doesn't). I was sure I knew what I wanted. I had a direction I was going in and someone I was going with. I had been dating the same guy since my senior year of high school... I thought we were a pretty good match (at the time.... looking back now we were horrible for eachother but hey like I said I knew it all back then) We had similar values, He wanted the same number of kids I did, he wanted to raise them the same way, he was supportive of me being a stay-at-home mom... you know all the usual "questions" you ask someone before you marry them. On paper it looked good. There was just one problem in this little plan.


I was falling in love with someone else.


I was forced to make a choice. One... or the other. I couldnt have both (I didnt want both) I couldnt have a combination of them both (not that I wanted that either) just one of them.... forever. One was very familiar. One was new and exciting. One was predictable and one was not. One of them told me everything I wanted to hear and the other told me everything I needed to hear. Suddenly everything that I had ever thought about love was being questioned. It didnt take me long to realized I was concentrating on all the wrong things. Love is not a list of questions. It is not a "type", it is not a "thing." Love is a feeling. Love is looking into someones eyes and realizing that you can never live another moment without that person... no matter what... and live without that person was something I didnt want to do. Not for another second. And what seemed like a difficult choice at one time became a very easy choice. 3 months later I was engaged and 4 months after that I married that man.


Six years ago today I realized just how crazy I was about Stephen as I looked into his eyes and vowed to be his wife.

And I fall in love with him a little more everyday...


Happy Anniversary baby... I love you so much!

2 comments:

shelley said...

congrats! cute picture of you two! look how tiny you are in his arms. (well, you're always tiny)

Olivia Carter said...

Congrats on 6 years!