Thursday, January 15, 2009

SUCCESS

Today was my little monkeys surgery and it went very well. I didnt really know what to expect but it was so fast. He was in and out before I really had time to get nervous. We got there at 6:30 this morning...meaning we had to leave our house at 5:15am to drive downtown to the surgery center. (Thanks again Bonnie for being at my house at the crack of dawn this morning to get Reagan off to school) The only nice thing was that Brody doesnt normally eat until close to 7am anyway so not being able to feed him wasnt to much of a struggle.

They called us back and did some pre-op stuff and then decided on giving him a breathing treatment before surgery because he was really congested and they just wanted to make sure his airways were open and dialated. The hard part was that I went back to the O.R. with him until they put him to sleep... I lost it when they did that. He was holding my finger and looking at me like "mom what are these people doing to me"...it was awful seeing him like that... I guess it was just a feeling like he is so small but he has already had to overcome so much in his life.

The nice nurse took me back to the waiting room and before I had time to stop crying the doctor came in and told Stephen and I he was done. They moved us to another waiting room and like literally five minutes later they came and told us he was awake.Stephen had taken the whole day off work and we were done by 9:30am. Modern medicine is amazing. He woke up from the anestesia a little grumpy but I think he was just hungry because as soon as i gave him a bottle he was his happy self again.

When we got home he took a 4 hour nap and woke up a new baby (maybe I am just being optimistic but he seemed happier to me). They told me his ears would drain for a few days but he should be as good as normal by tomorrow... The only thing is, his ears have been so bad for so long I dont even remember what normal is anymore.



Right before surgery (nice hat I know)
Brody in the hospital bed before surgery, he is such a trooper.




2 comments:

shelley said...

i'm glad everything went so well and it wasn't as traumatic as you feared. i was freaking out about a blood test - and you had to take your little one in for surgery!! you are so brave! hopefully the tubes do their job and he will be happy and in no more pain.

ps - you look great in the pre-surgery pic, even with the hat. who looks that good after getting up at 5-something and not sleeping the night before from anxiety?!

Olivia Carter said...

Oh man, Amber! You are tough- and so is your little guy. Glad the op went well!