Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Time for Tubes

Well Brody is officially scheduled for surgery this Thursday, and while I hate the idea of him having to have surgery I think it is going to be the best thing for him.

I took him to the doctor last Thursday to have his ears checked... he had just had 3 shots of Rocephin (a really strong antibiotic) the week before and they wanted me to come in and see how his ears looked. So we trecked over to the doctors office for our 4th visit in less than a week and when we got there... sure enough, STILL INFECTED. Not just a little bit but bulging with puss infected (sorry for that visual). His doctor told me that I needed to see the ENT asap and that if I couldnt get an appointment to call her back and she would put in a call.

As soon as I got home I called the ENT and told them I needed the first available appointment, with the first available doctor at any of their 5 Atlanta locations. Of course it would have to be their Cobb office that had a cancelation for the very next day (that is only the farthest office from my house, almost 2hours without traffic). So I called my stepmom to see if she could watch Reagan (thanks Diane and Dad!!!) and took Brody to the other side of the universe for this appointment.

The doctor took one look at his ears and said he reccomended tubes... he said nothing else was working so it really seemed like our only option. In fact, his ears were so filled with fluid that when they did the hearing test Brody had almost no response. Thank goodness the hearing loss is just temporary and something that the tubes will help with as well but without them it could permanantly damage his hearing.

So this Thursday we will be driving down to Scottish Rite Childrens Hospital at 6:30am to have his ears fixed. (Thanks Bonnie for watching Reagan and Erin for taking her to and from school )It is not a day I am looking forward to... no parent wants to see their little baby go through any kind of pain but I just keep telling myself that kids get them all the time and its a minor surgery... maybe sometime before Thursday I might start to beleive myself. Heres to hoping everything goes smoothly.

3 comments:

Olivia Carter said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry! The doctors have mentioned that Rob might need tubes too. I had tubes and the docs say it saved my hearing. Good luck, you are in my prayers!

Angie said...

Brody is going to be some tough kid with all that has been thrown his way already! I wish I could be there to help you on Thursday...but you know my heart will be. Everything will be ok because I know God will wrap his arms around you all! I love you. Mom

Ryan and Brindi said...

i hope it all went well today! hopefully we will get to see that cutie again soon.